Can I plant daffodil bulbs now or wait?

noplantwiz(NC)June 20, 2011

I had gotten a big pots of bulbs for Mother's Day LAST year. I was only able to save a few bulbs from the big pot but never did anything with them. They are now sitting in a empty pot in my kitchn but they have green spouts coming out of them. I know it isn't time to plant them but since they have spouted should I go ahead and plant them or is it just to hot and I should wait til fall anyway? Thanks, Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I would go ahead and plant them. IF you don't, you will definitely lose them altogether. If possible, plant them in dappled shade under a deciduous tree. They'll have a better chance of surviving long enough to ripen the foliage this summer. If they come up next year, you won the bet. They may or may not bloom then, but should the next year. Be sure to water carefully after you plant them in good soil.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 6:46PM
noplantwiz(NC)

Like I said I got these in a big tub of flowers last Mother's Day and I hadn't doen anything with them so I was surprised to see them spourting now anyway. Would it be better to plant them in a pot instead of the ground?

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:59PM
claydirt(5)

Humble opinion. Pots take more work. One needs to remember to take care of plants in the pots. I've found that the ground usually does a better job than I do. Perhaps mark the spot so you can dig them up for re-locating to a permanent location at the proper time of year?

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 9:59PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

If you decide to put them in a pot, set the pot outside and let mother nature take care of it. Don't be watering everyday, since daffodils go dormant in the summer and like conditions on the dry side. Even at that, I think you will have a higher probability of the bulbs surviving in the ground.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 11:03AM
noplantwiz(NC)

Thanks. I will get then in the ground then and see what happens! They sure aren't going to be able to do anything sitting in this epmty pot on the kitcehn table! Thanks

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™