Can I have some advice on these unplanted bulbs?

gamebirdJune 25, 2009

I was over at my mother's today and I asked her what ever happened to that elephant ear plant she had last year. She said it was still sitting in the garage. So we went out and looked at it. It has some white, pinkish tipped starts poking out, about 2-3 inches long and an inch thick. The opposite end of the bulb is a bit soft and it is overall a little dessicated. I think that had it been planted in spring in this condition, it would have done fine. Now...? It's been in the high 90s and low 100s for the past week.

We also found some cannas in the same condition, which is amusing because the ones she planted rotted in the ground in the rains. So the box that got lost are the only survivors.

What should I do with these things? I can put them in the ground, but what sort of care will they need to get established in the heat? Would it be better to just put them somewhere cool and dry until next year? Will they make it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Plant them all, in some shade (afternoon is best) if at all possible. Cannas will grow in standing water and along pond edges, so it is more likely that you mom's rotted from cold ground rather than from too much water. She should probably have waited to plant them until tomato planting time.

Both cannas and elephant ears like plenty of heat, water and high nitrogen fertilizer. Give them these and they should take right off for you. I would give them half strength fertilizer at first since the bulbs are in less than top shape.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Sponsored Products
I Luv CA Marquee Sign
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Shower Curtain Unique from DiaNoche Designs by Iris Lehnhardt - Green Veil
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Scope Office Chair in White
$109.00 | LexMod
Hyper Links Vista 20" Wide 3-Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Cosmopolitan Modern White Leather Counter Stools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Nemo Italianaluce | AS41Z Pendant Light
YLighting
Cove Crown Molding
CliqStudios Cabinets
Bamboo Viscose Bi-Color Throw
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™