Blood Lily

ltran54(9)June 23, 2010

I bought this little plant at a garage sale 4 years ago on the way to work in full bloom, without knowing it's named or how to care for it. By the time I got off of work, the bloom already cooked (inside the car)because Texas heath was up in 100 degree. I was sad, but kept it in the pot. The year after that I got few more came back with it and since, I gave away 5 bulbs and still have 12. (I planted in 3 spots and got total of 12 blooms this year. The bloom came first and the leaves came after the bloom was gone. That is way sometime people wonder where are the leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Well done! I'm glad you had a great display this year. And the leaves are interesting, too. A special bulb...

(They are also a bit frost tender but do 'come back'.)

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 11:03PM
izharhaq

Very nice, here is my Heamanthus multiflorus, I already posted in another thread in this forum, right now it has finished its blooming and has grown a very nice foliage:

Izhar

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 2:25AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

I do love these plants as they are very reliable in pots here in zone 6 as well and produce flowers every year. Izhar, just so you know, this is Scadoxus not Haemanthus. Mine are also in flower now. Lovely pics from both parts of the world :o) Dan

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 9:12AM
izharhaq

Hi Dan, thanks for correcting me... :) do these plants multiply and produce offsets?

Izhar

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 12:17AM
ltran54(9)

Izhar, these bulbs are very easy to multiply, but not in pot. (they do better in the ground)
I bought one bulb in 2006 and now total of 17 bulbs in 4 years.
I wish the bloom last longer, because it is so pretty.
Marie

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 4:00PM
izharhaq

That is a great rate of multiplying... :) i have mine in ground too... hope it does the same as of yours, so i could gift this plant other to gardening mates :)

Izhar

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 7:48AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Lovely. They bring back my childhood memory.
Thank you for posting those pictures.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 8:51AM
ltran54(9)

Last year I digged most of the bulbs up and put them in 3 pots, some still on the ground. They didn't bloom very much. I searched the internet and found out they didn't like to exposed their roots. When you exposed the roots, they don't bloom that year. They are in full bloom right now. Few more still coming.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 7:38PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Awesome! These are one of my favorites. Mine are in bloom too. I got 5 flowers this year. Can't wait for the clumps to increase!

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 11:12AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Wow, fantastic.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 12:37AM
pjives

A friend from work gave me 2 plants last fall. After they died down I planted them in the front garden. I was amaz ed at how quick they came up. One day the leaves were about 3" tall and in less than a week the blooms were on! I can't wait to see what they do next year...I'll be sure to move them to TN when I leave FL and my daughters would love to have some I'm sure!

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™