basic self watering container question

moonowlFebruary 12, 2011

When I buy commercial self watering pots, it is simply some kind of plastic tray/grid that allows water to drain and collect in a space the bottom.

When I see home-made earthboxes and such, people seem to use pond filter-like water reservoirs or wicking tubes. Why? Can't you just for example, drill a bunch of holes into the bottom of gallon bucket and put it inside another 5 gallon bucket? Won't the water wick through the holes just as well as a wicking tube/pond filter?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cetompkins(5a)

Here is a system that I used last year and should help answer your question. I built one last year and planted a White Hab in it and it way out performed the one in ground by 3 fold. I am planning 10 to 15 buckets this year.
Christopher.

Here is a link that might be useful: Global buckets

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 12:46AM
moonowl

Oh good golly, I didn't know the soil went INTO the cup/reservoir! The video was so much better, thank you. I guess I need a hole saw bit!

I always grew my hot peppers in containers. Fish, habs, jalapenos and serenos. They are brought resistant though. You think the buckets are the way to go with them?

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 11:28AM
cetompkins(5a)

moonowl I am glad the videos helped.

I only did one bucket last year and it was much larger and produced 75 or so peppers compared to the one I had inground that was much smaller and yielded only 20 peppers, I did pull it out of the bucket after the season was over and all I can say was I was impressed with the root growth, the bucket was full from top to bottom of prolific roots.

I did modify the system they show by using 4" net pots instead of the plastic cups as the wick, the solo cups just seemed a little too frail for my liking, and yes it seems to be a great alternative to growing inground.

Christopher.

p.s. I wish I would have taken some pictures to share.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™