wood hyacinth companian to cover foliage

vicsgardeningJune 1, 2011

I have a client who's got huge clumps of wood hyacinths all through her large garden beds. The dying foliage doesn't look like it's gonna wither away any time soon.

My plan is to recommend that I dig them up and replant in smaller more attractive clumps then over plant some of the clumps with annuals to cover the dying foliage. My questions are:

I also want to recommend some overplanting with perennials - does anyone know if wood hyacinths can be interplanted with daylilies (as you would with daffodils, or are they too aggressive and would crowd them out?

If I cut back the foliage before it's completely withered away (still green as of writing!) Will that mean little or no bloom next spring? (I don't have experience with wood hyacinth over a period of years!)

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Is this a shady garden - or does it enjoy plenty of sun? If it's on the shadier side you'll have a smaller choice of annuals, unfortunately, though some are very useful (Impatiens, for example).

I've found the following are pretty good at masking the Last of the Bluebells - Hosta, Vinca (perennial), Ajuga, Polygonatum, Cyrtomium, Dicentra, Omphalodes, Heuchera and Tiarella, Lamium, Astrantia, Pulmonaria, Liriope, Arisaema, Fragaria and Duchesnea, Epimedium - and a few thugs of equal vigour, which I won't mention.

For a formal effect - probably the Hosta. The others can be a bit 'cottage-y' in effect.

Good luck with thinning the clumps. :-))

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 4:01AM
vicsgardening

thanks for the suggestions!

Also how long before the foliage withers

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 12:49PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Hard to say because of the zone and climate differences. I'd expect them to be withering away by the end of this month.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 3:33AM
marquest(z5 PA)

Mine are dying down now. vetivert8, is using the plants I use in my shade area, the sunny area I have Daylilies, coral bells, and Black Berry Lilies.

In one bed I have the coral bells and fairy rose that seems to be doing a good job of covering the foilage.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™