You Have To Look At This Lily!!! Never Seen Nothing Like it!!!

hydrangeasnohio(6a)June 14, 2010

This Lily is it's third season in the ground. I bought it growing in a pot and bloomed well the first year. Last year it exploded and had many stems, one reaching over 6 foot tall. Now this year it has two larger stems both over 6 foot, along with many smaller ones at their base. But one of the stems is rectangle/square in shape and is loaded with buds! Never seen nothing like it. It blooms yellow and I think it was advertised as a hybrid lily. But blooms a little earlier than Oriental's and smells just like them. Has anyone else ever seen this happen before or grow a similiar lily? The first picture shows both main stems and the one on the right is a normal one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunandshadow

Oh, how interesting! :) Do you think that two grew too close together and merged, or do you think it's a mutant?

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 10:45PM
gardengal48

It is a relatively common phenomenon called 'fasciation' or a fusing of the apical meristem (primary growth point). A number of plants develop this trait in a very stable presentation - 'crested' types of conifers, fantail willow - but it can occur randomly and seemingly spontaneously with various other plants. Lilies happen to be one, but I've seen it with delphiniums, poppies, foxgloves and euphorbias.

No one is absoultely sure of the cause - may be prompted by insect damage or a genetic malfunction - but regardless it is a pretty weird and kinda cool thing to see. btw, your lily will be fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: fasciation

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 8:58AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Have never seen that happen before...How cool. I hope you can post pics when it blooms too.

Sue

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:15AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

What an amazing flower display you are going to get from that wonderful mutant :o) Dan

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 3:01PM
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

Thank you Gardengal I looked it up!!! Very interesting!!! Good to know that it is ok also. Next year it sounds like it will split and go back to normal. I looked up it's name and it is Futura Hybrid Oriental Lily. But it states it will only get 36-48 inches tall. So I wonder if it was mislabled. Although the picture of the flower looks pretty similiar. So who knows...LOL...

P.S. I will post pictures when it flowers!

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 8:05PM
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

I visited a botanical garden yesterday with many Oriental Lilies and noticed they had two Lilies doing the same thing just a little shorter than mine. I snaped a pic of it. Couldn't believe I was seeing another Lily doing the same thing!

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 2:31PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

What an interesting thread. I just removed a daylily scape the other day that looked like this, almost like two scapes had fused together down the middle. I don't remember it having an excessive number of blooms though.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 5:17PM
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

A bad wind storm broke the stalk when it was about half way open. Here is pics of it inside.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 12:32AM
izharhaq

WOW... lovely, thanks sharing..

Izhar

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 1:36AM
organic_kitten(8)

That is truly beautiful.
kay

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
daves10z7annv
Need daffodil bulb advice in NC
Got 100 daffodil bulbs, planted a month ago.In S W...
missdeborahp
Sponsored Products
Fairfield Arbor
Grandin Road
Quantum Stainless Steel 10-Light Silver Teak Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 4
Bellacor
Design Element London 36" Single Vanity with Drawers on the Left - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Dover Chandelette by Kichler
$158.00 | Lumens
Down Blanket
Home Decorators Collection
Blended Beauties Baskets
$189.99 | Dot & Bo
6-foot Ficus Tree and Bamboo Planter
Overstock.com
Waterproof Daylight White LED Neon, by the Meter