How much to plant for family?

caavonldy(8/9 N CA)December 15, 2008

Is there a chart somewhere that will tell me how much to plant of the various vegetables/fruit for a family of 5? I have decided to start canning/freezing/dehydrating as much as possible for year-round storage. With the cost of food so high, I need to start planning for the future. We have 5 acres in the Sacramento Valley. The soil is sandy loam and we have good weather year-round. I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

Gee, without knowing the tastes of your family, their ages (teenagers are eating machines, toddlers aren't) nor the vegetables/fruits you hope to plant, it's kind of hard to make an educated guess.
Does your county have an agricultural extension service? If so, they are very helpful, and could at least give you a rough idea of how much of what. If there is a community college or university nearby that has an agricultural department, that might be a source of information. An alternative is to find a comparable family with a garden, and ask what they do. Wish I could be of more help.

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 12:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

We've a state library that has old books published by the government during an earlier depression that told how to do this sort of thing. I guessing you would look for US government publications dated 1930-39 or so. I don't recall the names. They are quite the mixture of useful and useless stuff.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Old fertilizer question
I have a large bag of 10-10-10 that got wet. I doubt...
zzackey
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™