Daffodil bulb question

topieJuly 7, 2009

Hello,

We recently had to eradicate a troublesome plant in our garden that was growing in close proximity to some daffodil bulbs. We planted a replacement plant in this spot, but have yet to re-plant the bulbs because they would have been too crowded in their former spot since the new plant is larger than the old plant.

Right now the bulbs are sitting in a cool, dry, dark place. Is it best to re-plant them now? Or wait until the fall? I normally only plant bulbs in the fall, but since these are "previously planted", I'm wondering if it's better just to pop them back in the ground now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I often accidently dig up daffodils and always replant them right away with no problems. Al

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 9:38AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

It would be best if you were to store them in a cool dry airy place and then replant them in Oct once the soil temps have cooled.

There are those who replant immediately though with good success. Planting them now (too early) one runs the risk of them cooking in hot moist soil before they start to root in.

Sue

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 10:01AM
topie

Thanks for your follow-up posts, especially the tip about avoiding "cooking" them!

The area where we'd want to re-plant the bulbs is in a spot that has some newly-planted perennials that are being watered to help get them established this summer, so the soil is moist. It sounds like in this case it's best to wait to re-plant the bulbs until October.

Thanks again,
-topie

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Recommendations for mainly crocus bulb supplier
Short story: New house, few bulbs (almost none) I'd...
dbarron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™