clematis - how/when to move young plants from indoors to outdoors

terryo2March 9, 2014

I have 2 young clematis plants (Dr. Ruppel & Sweet Summer Love) that I received in US mail in 4" pots. I transplanted them to larger (maybe 8" diameter pots) in a sunny unheated room (zone 6b).

They were in very bad shape but now are growing well - 'Dr. Ruppel' just had a bloom. SS Love has grown to about 4 feet tall.

How and when do I move them out onto my balcony which is pretty sunny but very exposed to wind and weather?

Should they be growing indoors like this?

I just don't know what the next step is. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Move them outside when you don't have any more frosts or freezing temps. You must let them get used to being outside, you need to acclimate them. Bring them out for one hour the first day and increase time for 2 weeks, then they will be fine. You could grow them indoors if they are doing OK, it's up to you. You need also to slowly expose to the sun. The first few days I would leave in the shade, slowly increasing sun exposure daily too. By the last day 8 hours outside and in the sun or whatever your exposrure is. They do need sun.. 14 days is about right, works best for me.

I keep mine in the garden, one is about 25 years old. I added four more last year. The 25 year old one is massive, I cut it completely down every year. It grows like crazy and produces hundreds of flowers. Pruning depends on what type you have. 3 groups exist, each are pruned differently.
Brushwood Nursery has a good grow guide for Clematis

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematid Grow guide

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 16:42

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™