can tulips/daffodils be successfully planted in July zone 5?

vm_bostonJuly 10, 2013

We recently extended our patio and now have a new huge bed to fill. I am eager to plant but I also want to flood it with tulips and daffodils for spring color. Ideally, I would plant both my perennials and bulbs now so as not to disrupt any new plants by waiting until fall to plant the bulbs. So, my question is: can bulbs be successfully planted in July in zone 5 (Boston)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florauk(8/9)

My question would be can you even find the bulbs for sale now? I really don't think planting your bulbs will bother your perennials. They won't have spread much in the next couple of months and the bulbs will be put in spaces between them I imagine. Bulbs look far better in clumps than individually so you could leave gaps for them if you are concerned. Plant with a narrow trowel (you can buy a bulb trowel) and I'm sure your perennials will be fine. I garden between mine all the time. I just thought of something else ... the watering needed by perennials planted in July would not agree with the bulbs. In the Autumn the watering will have reduced.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 3:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

If you live in Boston, now is NOT the time to plant those bulbs. They have to make roots in fall and then be subjected to a winter's cold dormancy period.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™