digging daff and tulip bulbs now

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)July 21, 2013

I plan to revamp two of my flowerbeds in September when the weather is a lot cooler than these 97 degree days we've been having for last few weeks. I want to decreased the width of both flowerbeds. Why can't I dig those bulbs now that are marked and hang them in a net type hosiery bag in the garage till I can replant them? I figured i would be that much ahead of the game if I could move them now. I plan to put a bright color piece of computer paper or color index card inside the bag for ID purposes. Does this make sense or can I just replant them in other beds now, like a holding bed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

That's pretty much what I do with bulbs I'm digging and storing for fall planting. Go for it.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:17PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I never have done this successfully. When there is still dying foliage on the bulbs, I'm too busy to dig up bulbs and by now, I have no idea where they are. I did dig up some once and split some when I was digging, then didn't get around to replanting all of them and now I couldn't even tell you where there are any extra bulbs growing.

What does it take to do this right? Not my favorite job, but I have good bulbs that I would like to increase but I would rather buy new bulbs than go to this trouble. I do have a small property, maybe if I had a larger one that it would cost me a fortune to buy as many as I needed, I would feel differently?

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 3:48AM
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

I'm a bit of a gambler with my bulbs.

I had a nice tulip bed, but decided to do something else there. While they were blooming, I used plastic knives that I stuck in the soil with the color (I always forget names).

Then I started working the new bed. I dug and dug and let it rest. Then a couple of weeks later, I dug some more. After a total of six weeks of mess, I recently replanted the bulbs. I used some bonemeal and worked in lots of organic matter.

I covered and mulched. I could not imagine any difference between saving the bulbs for autumn and planting them in deep good soil.

I have confidence that it will work. If it doesn't, then my friendly garden store will welcome my money next year.

Jim

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™