Caladium Questions

mmqchdygg(Z5NH)July 20, 2009

I've recently discovered Caladiums, and after thinking I bought a 'dud' package, they're FINALLY coming up! They're a lovely reddish color, and I've found a few threads on digging them up and over-wintering them. No biggie.

My questions are:

Like Rosy Dawn Gardens specializes in Coleus, is there a nursery that specializes in Caladium? I'm sure I'm hooked!

Will Caladiums take any amount of sun? I have a north-facing bed that I usually dedicate to Coleus, and it gets sun til about noon every day, then is shaded by the house.

Can these be used as houseplants at all? I had an elephant ear in the house for a while, but not sure if Caladiums are related and will tolerate living in the house.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
holly_bc(Zone 7B VanIsle)

I can't answer the Caladium Specialty Nursery question but you can likely google that term and perhaps come up with something.

They are partial to full shade plants that like humidity. They do very well as indoor house plants keeping in mind that desire for humidity.

HTH
Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Botany Com

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 11:27AM
mindysuewho

For the last two years, I have ordered from Caladium Bulbs 4 Less. They have a great variety to choose from and their prices are good. The Caladiums are just beautiful. Great customer service, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caladium Bulbs 4 Less

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 10:21PM
jamesmaloy

Hi Caladium world is a web site for the said bulbs. I think the north side of your house is great. I believe the caladium can take more sun if more water is given. And they will not sprout until soil is stable warm temp. So don't plant early.I usually wait until mine have sprouted in the box I have stored them in I leave them all turned right side up for storage so they will all sprout right side up and not be curved but good straight growth. Maybe sunbulb is also a caladium supplier, you might just try it and see. The strap leaved varieties are also nice.
James Maloy

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 11:07PM
drobertson_2008

Hello,

Can you please tell me how long it took for yours to come up? It has been 8 weeks since I planted and still nothing! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGG!

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™