Acer Shirasawanum 'Sensu' Repot
I noticed today after work that many of the buds on my "Sensu" looked noticeably larger than the rest and about half of the larger buds were also split. So, I decided not to wait any longer to repot this tree. Here's some pictures of the process.
This is where I started.
root ball as it came out of 2 gallon nursery pot
Bare roots after being cleaned
Placed in new pot (sorry about focus)
Tools used. I borrowed some of my fly tying tools to pick the dirt out of the root ball and then to pack the gritty mix back around the roots after repoting.
I did cut on pretty big root that was sort of "J" shaped and went directly back under the trunk of the tree. I hope it didn't take too much out of the root mass. Many of the very fine roots were lost in washing the old soil off the roots, but there was easily 75 to 80 percent of the original roots left after washing and cutting out the one large root mentioned above.
Anyway, now I wait and hope the tree grows in new fine roots and grows well this year.