Daffodil bulb storage tips needed

topieJuly 7, 2009

What kind of container and place do you prefer to store dug daffodil bulbs in?

We had to dig up some daffodil bulbs due to moving things around in the garden this year. I've never dug bulbs before, so am wondering about the best spot for storage.

Right now we have the bulbs in one of those plastic garden flats with the lattice-style bottom in our garage. There is only one layer of bulbs so that they are not touching each other, and the flat is raised off the shelf it's on by bricks.

The garage is fairly cool in the summer, and quite dark, but is it better to keep them in a dark place in an air-conditioned room, perhaps under a bed?

Also, I know daffodil bulbs are toxic and most animals avoid eating them, but if we keep them in the garage, should we critter-proof the container in some way just in case? We had a squirrel living in our garage last year.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated and thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

The garage is fairly cool in the summer, and quite dark, but is it better to keep them in a dark place in an air-conditioned room, perhaps under a bed?
I really think the cool garage will suffice just fine, stored the day you described.

Also, I know daffodil bulbs are toxic and most animals avoid eating them, but if we keep them in the garage, should we critter-proof the container in some way just in case? We had a squirrel living in our garage last year.
I'm not really sure. I have heard of squirrels digging up bulbs and then either leaving them on the surface soil, or replanting them a bit....so they may get into them, and just misplace them. If there is much of a chance of them being disturbed, I'd maybe cover them with some iron cloth or something. You might cover them with come metal chicken wire, or some Square Wire Mesh which is great to have on hand anyway.

Sue...chemocurl

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 11:43AM
topie

Thanks so much for the follow-up post. OK, we will continue keeping them in the garage.

Sounds like squirrels think the bulbs might be something good to eat, and then somehow instinctually realize they are toxic and then just leave them there. The chicken wire or square wire mesh is a great idea! Maybe I can construct a "bulb box" with a wood frame and the wire mesh, just in case any more squirrels move into our garage and start checking out the bulbs.

Thanks again,
-topie

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 3:45AM
wally_1936(8b)

Why do you want to store them instead of re-planting them?

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 12:05PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Why do you want to store them instead of re-planting them?

Most, if not all spring blooming bulbs are best planted in the fall after the soil temps have cooled down. If planted too early, like now, one runs the risk of them cooking (baking) in hot moist soil. There is particularly more danger of that if the soil is heavy and doesn't have really good drainage.

Sue

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™