How do you keep them all straight! Need some help

cmw21July 26, 2009

I am a first time home buyer and have been working on our landscaping.

We are in SWPA, z6 borderline 5.

I am so confused by all the different information regarding bulbs. Is there a rule of thumb on which one can stand the winter, which ones are planted in the fall and which ones need to be dug up?

Here is what I currently have. Glads (no idea the variety, they came free with my lillies), Stargazer lillies and asiatic lillies. Can they make the winter or do I need to dig them up? I would like to add some tulips and daffodils to my garden. These are planted in the fall, right? So, once they are planted, I'm good to go?

My neighbor is also having me dig up some of her iris this fall. Should I store them for the winter or can i put them right into the ground?

Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate all your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mori1(5b/6a)

The only thing that you will need to dig up is the glads unless they are the winter hardy ones. I'm in zone 5 between a and b. Put the iris in the ground so they can work on setting down roots for next year. Yes, tulips and daffodils are planted in the fall.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 4:47AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

If you know the latin names of your bulbs (these should be on the packages), you can Google them and find out their winter hardiness zones very easily. It's not a bad idea to mark your bulbs with their names somehow so that you can find them to lift, divide, and spread the wealth later on. I like to use pieces of old vinyl window blinds that I write on with a Sharpie. If you put the ink side under the ground, the sun will not fade it. Leave just enough of the slat above ground that you can find them easily.

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 8:21PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

As Mori said, the only bulbs/corms you need to dig up and store indoors this fall are glads. Everything else including Iris can stay in the ground over winter.

Don't worry too much.
Have fun.
:-)

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™