Blueberries in a container

sierravistaMarch 14, 2014

I was not sure where to post this so...anywho...I want to grow some blueberries in several large containers and wonder what type I should buy since I live in Los Angeles.

Also, what would you suggest I use for the soil.
Sierravista
thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

'Sunshine Blue', 'Bountiful Blue' 'Jewell', 'Jubilee'. I have had best luck with 'Sunshine Blue'.

Use camellia/azalea mix, but add some pumice--20%--they want moist soil, but not soggy soil--their roots need oxygen and the pumice will provide that. Don't drown them, but don't let them dry out, either.

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 12:57AM
Bradybb(wa8)

The Southern Highbush varieties mentioned are good as are Emerald,Southmoon and Oneal to name a few.
I use about 60-70% Pine and or Fir bark mulch with 30-40% Peat moss.
Make sure the irrigation water is somewhat acidic. Brady

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 1:10AM
rina_

I would also recommend for you to read posts on Fruit & Orchards forum, there are many about growing blueberries in containers. You'll find out about soil, fertilizing, watering - you can search that forum by typing 'blueberries in containers' in the search box located in top left of the forum.
I read all posts on blueberries, regardless if grown in pots or ground.
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 8:30

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 8:21AM
sierravista

Excellent!
thank you
Sierravista

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 1:12PM
shazaam(NC 7B)

For the potting mix, just be sure to stick to primarily acidic ingredients -- bark (pine or fir), peat, azalea mix, etc. While it isn't strictly necessary, you can also add something like coarse perlite, pumice, turface, or calcined diatomaceous earth (NAPA Oil Absorbent) in a smaller proportion to enhance aeration. The latter three will also boost water retention (if that's desired), as well as nutrient retention. In my experience, blueberries do very well in Al's 5-1-1 mix, which is very similar to the mix that Brady is using. It's composed of 5 parts pine or fir bark, one part peat, and one part perlite (while the standard recipe also calls for lime, be sure to omit that for blueberries). Adding more peat will boost the water retention, and substituting DE, pumice or turface for the perlite will do the same. You've gotten some very good recommendations for varieties from Brady and hoovb, but I'll also include a link below that might prove helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberries Simplified (Fall Creek Nursery)

This post was edited by shazaam on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 13:28

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 1:21PM
sierravista

I love everything you are saying. A few years ago, mentioning turface ,pumice. etc would have caused me to go, HUH?

Now since I dabble in bonsai, I get it!
Thanks, I will look up the link and read and read and read.

Sierravista

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™