Advice for good production veggies in Earthtainers.

l1a1rocker(8)March 19, 2011

I'm in the middle of a move (to the central Texas Hill Country area) and that has delayed my spring planting. . .that being said I'd like some advice.

I built 5 Earthtainers last year and I'm almost ready to put them back into production. Two are dedicated for tomatoes and the other three can be used for whatever.

I'd like some suggestions on what to plant in the other three. I'm looking for something that will be produce a lot all season long, not just a bunch at once and be done. I'm thinking green beans and maybe butter beans but I'm just not sure - I do have a good trellis design for the Earthtainer that goes up 10 feet.

Please help...

Also, can anyone suggest a good tasting, sweet indeterminate tomato of medium to large size?

Thanking you all in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rnewste(8b NorCal)

Cucumbers do quite well in EarthTainers:

Eggplant would be another suggestion. When you have cooler weather in the Fall, you might want to give Snow Peas a try.

Raybo

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 1:39AM
l1a1rocker(8)

cucumbers are an ideal Ilike pickles. do you recomend a specific seed as being superior? Also, in late fall, what type of letuce would broduce most? Or is it soo little that it is not worth the effort.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 2:52AM
rnewste(8b NorCal)

Cukes I have had success with are: Diva, Sweet Success, County Fair, and Straight Eight. Never grown lettuce, but it should be easy.

Raybo

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 3:04AM
tempusflits

I don't think I'd use the Earthtainer for lettuce. You could grow leaf lettuce in containers that are about 8" or 10" tall. They work well.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 7:50AM
appaullo

rnewste, would a smaller eggplant, such as Ichiban, need any kind of support in a container?

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 12:13PM
rnewste(8b NorCal)

Eggplant do fine in the EarthTainer. Here are 4 plants my neighbor grew a few years ago:

Raybo

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 7:50PM
emgardener

Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans do quite well in SWCs.
I've grown them for years. By far, they have produced the most per square foot of growing area for me of any vegetable. Need at least a 6' trellis.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 4:44PM
c00rdb

Is there any reasonable difference in using peat vs potting soil in the 3-2-1? Peat is a good bit cheaper, I think potting soil is mostly peat anyway.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™