question on rain lily

nixon(z5ny)July 4, 2009

i am in cold zone 5 wny, i have had what i think are pink rain lily for years outside, i was searching to by more in different colors and they all say zone 7-10, can they be rail lily, and sometimes hardy? does anything else come up after the rain? any thoughts? thanks c

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

It's news to me that any rain lily (zephyranthes and habranthus) would be hardy in the ground as far north as you are. I think if I were you, I would divide the clumps you have and let them multiply in your yard. It sounds like you have an exception to the rule (or a different plant with the same common name). Crinums will bloom in response to rain, but they're no hardier than rain lilies.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 2:53PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

It might be too that you do have rain lilies, but that they are planted in a micro climate of sorts on your property.

I have a patio dahlia that has returned for about 5 years now, that 'should not' be hardy here in my zone.

I think you can maybe identify a warm microclimate area of your property as being any area where the snow would melt off earliest in the winter. Areas where it lingers longer than others areas, I would think might be colder than normal on your property.

I'm going to try and extend the daffodil season here by paying particular attention to where I plant them. I want to plant some where the snow first melts off, and where if melts off normally, as well as the areas where it seems to linger the longest.

Sue

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 6:16PM
houstworks

I am in 5a also and have many Rain Lily bulbs that have survived the winter.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 1:46PM
wally_1936(8b)

It is good to hear Rain Lily-Copper Lily bulbs are hardy that far North. It could be possible they have hardened out for your climate. Looks like you have a winner there and need to divide as often as possible, your neighbors just may love you. The best we are able to do it try.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™