Grow Bags???

emgardenerMarch 30, 2010

Getting ready for spring planting and I saw these new grow bags at Summer Winds Nursery and in Gardeners Supply catalog.

Has anyone used them? What were your results?

I use soil blocks for starting seedlings, so I'm familiar with the effect of air pruning on the roots. The Grow Bags claim to have the same good air pruning effect on the full plants. Anyone dumped out a plant growing in an Grow Bag to see what the roots were doing???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
starlady

I saw those too, but at $12+ each, didn't feel like experimenting with them this year. The experiment I AM running is with reusable grocery store bags -- the type you can generally get at the checkout for $1. They're made of a polypropylene weave, similar to the growbags. I've read that they typically only last a season or so because of UV breakdown, but that's enough for me at the moment. I suppose you could get the "double walled" feature by placing one bag inside the other -- might also help with the UV issue as the outer bag should protect the inner bag from the sun. (hmmm... maybe I'll go get a couple more bags ;))

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 1:33PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

emgardener, the 'grow bags' I have used had an impervious plastic base and a fabric-like wall. They were used for growing trees for later transplanting. Roots would grow through the sidewall and break off as they thickened. This resulted in a profusion of rootlets inside the bag. The advantage is that when transplanted the tree had a mass of functioning feeding roots which mitigated the 'shock' of transplanting. It worked very well for this purpose. On a related note, I once used brown paper bags to create a "container" to hold a composted mix and moisture in place for tomato seedlings transferred to ground planting. The roots grew through the paper bags and I had a good crop of tomatoes.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 6:31AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Last year there was a whole thread on this. Some even make their own out of landscape cloth which has the UV factor in it. One poster made hers from Eco-Felt.

Smart Pots is a maker of these, and here are a couple others:

http://www.rootmaker.com/products_containers.php#jump
http://www.fanntum.com/advantages.htm

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™