Advise on tulips, daffodils , and iris

maisaigon25July 24, 2010

Hi I dug some tulips daffodils and dutch iris (iris never flowered). And after awile(like 3 or 4 weeks) I put them in the fridge. I cut open a small tulip bulb and saw a tiny small bud. Advise please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

That's usual for bulbs. By the time they close down for summer they've stored the food they need to see out the hot'n'dry AND formed next year's flower.

Depending on where you live - you don't necessarily need to fridge your bulbs. Just storing them in a cool, dry environment, protected from foraging mousies and other hungry creatures, is often enough.

Unless you get deep frost at your place - your daffs and Dutch Iris can do better left in the ground for about three years or so (or until they become crowded and stop flowering as much.)

My neighbour has her Dutch Iris in the front yard where they live under an old deciduous magnolia. They get full sun for much of the day and flower reliably each year. Mine don't get as much sun and can be skittish about flowering. If you feed them - they tend to produce lots of leaves and few flowers.

That said - if you planted those bulbs late last bulb-planting season they may have been a bit 'rubbery' - in which case they will take two, maybe three years, to regain vigour. No fridging.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 5:03AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

What is your climate zone? Cannot correctly advise without this information.

Tulips and daffodils are hardy. Dutch iris are less so ~ maybe to USDA zone 5?

If you chill tulips there must not be fruit in the refrigerator (ethylene gas will kill the bud). All bulbs use low nitrogen fertilizer.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 8:24PM
maisaigon25

I am in zone 8

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 12:08PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Hi Maisaigon!

In zone 8 leave the daffodils and Dutch iris bulbs in the ground. If your tulips are Darwin type they may come back every year if left in the ground. I'm too lazy to dig & refrigerate tulips but they would like it if I did. If they are not Darwin type they may produce foliage and very little bloom the 2nd year.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
surprise crocus
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This spring blooming...
forest
daves10z7annv
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™