Has anyone tried to grow in feed sacks?

tlowery04(6b/7a)March 28, 2011

I've seen some woven plastic bags for sale to grow in, but i was wondering if anyone had used old livestock feed sacks (the woven mesh not the paper) I would be interested in finding out if i should leave the ground side open or sewn shut and pop holes in for drainage.

I would be growing potatoes so i would need to figure out what type of soil to use that won't dry out but won't cause rot ( i am assuming the bags will dry faster)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onafixedincome(z8-9 CA)

As an 'expert' in feed sacks of this type, I wouldn't even try. They are designed to break down when exposed to sunlight and I don't see any way they could be used as decent planters. :( They leave a LOT of tiny plastic flakes when they break down, too.

Good luck!

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 12:31AM
TwoMonths(So Calif)

I am growing potatoes in a dog feed bag to experiment. I have 5 different containers and it is the only one growing so far. Do a search on Potato Towers and you will see many extensive sites with trial and errors.

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 11:11PM
Frannie-Frannie

My first trial of potatoes in bags, sacks etc ....the ones in a sack such as u mention have only sprouted this week ....so will keep you posted if u like. i've placed the sack in a cardboard box and yes - i did punch in some drainage holes.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 5:24AM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™