ID help & advice: amaryllis belladonna bulbs?

misiaJuly 28, 2012

Hi! Moved into my first home in Fresno Ca. 2 yrs. ago and there are massive mounds of bulbs that never produce foliage or blooms. No luck getting an ID from local nurseries. Thought they may just need to be divided and then might produce or maybe divided and planted deeper? Also thought about digging up and throwing away because beds just look empty and ugly with these large mounds. There are some naked lady / amaryllis belladonnas coming up near them and bulbs look similar. Can anyone guess what these bulbs might be or offer advice on what you'd do with these?I'd be so appreciative of any feedback you might have. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misia

Sorry - posted pic, but didn't go through - here's photo of bulbs for ID.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:49PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I would dig them now and divide them. If they did not bloom in the last two years they are not going to. This is the time they would be sending up flower stems. I would wait until the rains start to replant them in sunny locations, out of the way of most of the garden. They will grow foliage over the winter which will die down in the spring completely until the blooms come up with no foliage about the first of August. They may not bloom for a year or two, sometimes even more, if they don't get enough sun. In most soils they get along with just the winter rains, but benefit from some summer water, and no fertilizer is usually required. Al

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 8:32AM
misia

Thank you so much Al. I'll do that. Wasn't sure if they were Amaryllis, and wasn't sure how to replant without knowing - seemed strange that they were mounded up so high above ground. But, you're right - not much to lose if they haven't produced in 2 years. Thanks again for helping make a decision.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 6:27PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

When you dig them, clean one off and post a pic, folks here might be able to better judge what kind it is, and how healthy it is. If they are in good condition, you could have a great treasure trove there - just in need of some attention to make it shine.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Sponsored Products
Stickbulb | 6 Foot Torch Floor Lamp
$850.00 | YLighting
Mitchell Leather Sofa - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Kichler Loom Olde Bronze Mini Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures
WAC Argos 42 Degree White 25W Led Track Head for Lightolier
Euro Style Lighting
Madison Rug 10' x 14' - SILVER
$4,299.00 | Horchow