Growing Rain Lily From Seed

eahamel(9a)July 24, 2012

I recently collected some rain lily seeds. Don't know what kind, but the blooms are yellow. How long do I need to let them dry before planting? I got them about 4 days ago, the seed pods were open but the seeds were still in them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

I plant them immediately. I'm in central FL so they sprout easily here. Just sprinkle them on top of a pot with potting soil in it and stick it outdoors in partial shade. They sprout for me within 1-2 weeks.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 9:52AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Yes. They do best if they are sown fresh. I do cover my seeds with a light dusting of potting soil and then pat the whole thing down into the pot. Water daily. Don't let them ever dry completely out. I keep them in their pots in the house under lights through their first winter, though, since you are in zone 9, you may not need to do that. They will bloom in three years. Two if you are lucky.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 5:07PM
eahamel(9a)

Thanks, I'll get them planted today! Donna, our winters are usually pretty mild, but occasionally we have a whopper of a freeze, so keeping them under lights their first year sounds like a good idea.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 12:06PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

I bring in my seedling trays during freeze events. Otherwise they remain outside. Once they have been planted into the ground, I don't protect them at all. The ground never freezes here, so they are fine.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
surprise crocus
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This spring blooming...
forest
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™