Has any in zone 5 left calla lily bulbs in the ground and had the

mori1(5b/6a)August 5, 2009

Okay, my goal this season was to work on the flower beds in the front yard. But thanks to the weather,some other issues and very bad twisted ankle. I got started today and the weeds were not happy. I still have to plant the calla lilies that I started from bulbs in April. So image my surprise when clearing away some weeds to find a calla lily in the one of spots that I planted some last year. I thought I dug them all up. There is a small amount of mulch over the spot but I can't figure out how it survived the winter. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I have always heard/read that they were only hardy to zone 7. What may have happened is that they may be in a microclimate where you have them planted...that is it is warmer there in the winter than in other parts of your property. Microclimates usually are the first areas to have the snow melt off in the winter/spring.

I have one patio dahlia, that is planted in a bed on the south side of the house, next to the brick wall. It has survived being left in the ground for probably 4 winters. I have never noticed before, but imagine it might be a small microclimate area.

Sue...chemocurl

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 2:27AM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™