summer bulbs for heavy soil?

linaria_gwAugust 12, 2010

Hello there,

after moving from a sandy area to this spot with heavy clayish soil I am about to give up on Dahlias. They were so easy to grow in the sandy soil...

But after 2 seasons with little or no success I will switch to something else. I do some soil amendment (mulch, compost) but nothing drastic as I lack time.

Are there some summer flowering bulbs which I overlooked? Otherwise I would just go for resilient annuals.

Thanks for your ideas, cheers, Lin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I have had no trouble with bulbs generally and certainly not Dahlias in clay soil. Are you sure the trouble is the soils clay content? Al

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 7:59AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Where do you live? If in the Deep South, the trouble is not the clay, it's the humidity and hot nights. The only dahlia I have grown with success is Bishop of Llandaff. That's not to say there are NO dahlias that do well here, but I don't think there are many.

As to summer bulbs. You can't go wrong with Zephyranthes and Crinums in the sun or Caladiums in the shade. (If you are in the South). Crinums and zephyrs are both beautiful and and they bloom repeatedly. Crinums require patience. They hate being disturbed, so expect at least a two year wait before they bloom. They are worth the wait.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 4:41PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

As you're willing to improve your clay (best thing for it!) you might want to consider growing tuberous begonias for over the summer. You can start them indoors in pots until any late frosts have gone, and then plant out when the soil has warmed up.

Another couple which tolerate heavier soils are Watsonia (but may become weedy), and Eucomis. Plus Lilies of various kinds for both early and late summer displays.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
av3108
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™