what type of tulip

RoseAbbeyAugust 24, 2009

Hi All, I am a newbie to bulbs. Do all varities of tulips come up every year or only specific ones. I am interested in planting tulip bulbs that are about 2 feet tall, dark red in color and would bloom every year. Thank you for your suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Given the right condition, most hybrid tulips will come back for several years year. Tulips need well drained soil enriched with compost and rather dry in summer. They also need their foliage to rebuild their bulbs, so don't cut them off until they are dry.

Same conditions applied to species tulips. But some of these tulips live much longer in my garden.

These tulips were planted 3 years ago. Most of them came back this year:

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 7:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Much of the ability to perennialize has been bred out of hybrid tulips - the species tulips are the best choices for a reliably returning tulip bulb. But the Darwin hybrids have better return abilities than most others - look for 'Red Appledoorn', 'Red Impression' or 'Red Oxford'. And be sure and follow the advice provided above - very well draining soil, keep on the dry side in summer and leave foliage in place until it dries up naturally.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™