Peruvian Daffodil - Ismene hasn't bloomed

bloominganne(Atlanta 8)August 31, 2008

Hi, I have a generous neighbor that gave me a Peruvian daffodil bulb about 3 years ago and it's never bloomed. I planted it in a raised bed that gets lots of sun. Every year it makes foilage and never blooms. It is overgrown by a large salvia. When should it bloom? How can I get it to bloom? Is it possible I planted it too deep and should remove it and plant it higher?

Thanks, bloominganne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Yes I think you planted too deep. They are reliable bloomers when kept close to the surface but planted six inches deep will often not bloom. Al

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 7:39AM
bloominganne(Atlanta 8)

Thanks, Al, I'll replant it. I think it's been making offshoots since there's more foilage each year so I may have more than one to replant.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 8:11PM
bubba62

On the eastern seaboard, Ismenes tend to be sporadic in their blooming because of erratic rainfall patterns; they're used to very definite wet/dry seasons, such as in a Mediterranean climate. 'Sulfur Queen' is the only selection that blooms fairly reliably for me in the ground. Festalis and 'Pax' bloom pretty well if the bulbs are either grown in pots and stored dry on their sides for a few months or lifted and stored for the winter, but just make big clumps of foliage when left in the garden all year. I've also found that for most amaryllids deeper planting keeps the bulbs from splitting as much, which in turn promotes flowering (since the plants can't reproduce vegetatively, they attempt seed production), but this may not be true of this group of Hymenocallis.

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 4:07AM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™