What kind of dolly do you use to move large containers?

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)March 26, 2012

When I read about people moving containers with a dolly, what kind are we talking about? A movers dolly on 4 wheels, or the 2-wheeled type with high handles that you tip back to move? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

Just the two wheel type that you tip back a bit... that's what I use. I think Harbor Freight has them fairly cheap.

I have several huge clay pots that are placed to kind of flank the garage doors... about 4 to 6 really heavy ones... and they're way too large to move without a dolly.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:18AM
ykerzner(9 TX)

I built a dolly to move trash cans filled with discarded soil, but slightly over-engineered it. It is made of a piece of pressure-treated wood 2x2 feet, with four boards fitted lengthwise beneath that, and four wheels attached, each of which can support 125 pounds or so. It cost about 20 dollars total to make, and is extremely sturdy.

The 2-wheel type is probably your best bet, though.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 11:57AM
faerygardener(z7 Sunset7)

I also use the 2 wheel with tall handle that you tip back as well. You need to be careful on bumps or you can chip the edge of the pot - best to wedge a towel there if the area you're travelling over is not smooth. Picked mine up at Costco.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 1:04PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Thanks for the input. I should have waited for your input because I just shelled out less than $10 for a 4-wheel movers dolly at Harbor Freight. Maybe I'll return it. The kind you tip back makes more sense because you can go up and down steps, etc. I'll have to check HF again.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™