Should I plant now/what needs dug for winter?

bookjunky4life(5 Central IL)August 7, 2009

I just ordered some ice stick tulips (early spring bloomers) and grecian wildflowers. I assume I will get them around the end of August/beginning of September. I am at the border of zone 5 and 6 in Central Illinois. Do I go ahead and plant the bulbs when I get them? Do they have to then be dug up in the fall? If so, after frost? how do you store each?

Additionally, I have the same questions 1) do I store for winter 2) if so, when do I dig and how specifically do I store for the following:

Gladiolus

Iris (bearded, I believe)

Dhalias

Pixie Lilly (a kind of Asiatic lilly?)

I am also planning on ordering:

Shogun Japanese Iris

Azure Allium

Daffodils

Asiatic Lillies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Typically, bulb companies ship when it is time to plant in your area, so you should be fine planting when you receive your order.

Here's what I know about the others:
Gladiolas: you'll have to dig and store. Wait until the foliage begins to brown, or as soon after frost kills it as possible. Dig the corms while the stems are still firmly attached. Shake off the soil and let them dry a few hours in the sun. (Be sure to label them and keep them sorted accordingly.) Then remove them to a frostproof garage, etc. to cure for a few weeks. High temps won't hurt them, but they need good air circulation. When the stems come off the corms easily, do that and clean them up (soil), put them into paper bags, a small box, or a flat, always with a LABEL. Store them as close to 40 degrees as you can. You can pack them in sand, peatmoss, etc, but this is usually not necessary.

Bearded irises do not need to be dug.

Dahlias do need to be dug. Consult the dahlia forum for excellent information.

I'm pretty sure that Asiatic lilies do not need digging. If I am incorrect, I am sure someone will chime in.

Japanese Iris, Alliums, and Daffodils are all winter hardy. No digging needed.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 9:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

I agree with donnabaskets about everything

If you have a damp basement for storage of your Glads I would bury them in peat moss in a container with a tight fitting lid.

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™