Asiatic Lily

bloombuddieAugust 16, 2011

I purchased Tiny Hope and Tiny Nanny on sale a couple weeks ago. Been too hot in the 100's to put them in the ground. Now the foliage died back and I'm left with bulbs and bare dirt. Should I plant them anyway or save them somehow till Spring? Thanks for your help. Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Save them for next spring. I guess your lilies were in full bloom when you bought them. I like to keep my lilies growing and green after the bloom to build the bulb for next season. You should have been able to keep yours growing in their pots. Al

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 10:23AM
bloombuddie

I bought 8 pots all half price at Walmart after they had bloomed. Six of them are still green and growing and I intend to put them in the ground once the temps are out of the 100's. These two went brown on me and broke off. I'll just leave them in their pots then and plant in the Spring.
Ann

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 4:54PM
Nancy zone 6

I'm not sure why wait til spring? I often purchase clearance lilies & plant when I can, even if the tops have died back. They grow fine for me, but I know location can make a difference.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 9:09PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I too was thinking that now would be the best time to plant them. If they are held for spring planting, they could either dry up/out, or else rot if they are kept moist.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 12:34AM
calistoga_al

A bulb in the garden with roots established will never in my experience rot, even if the soil remains wet. A bulb without roots however has readily rotted for me. Al

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™