thinking about planting tulips

jenndevAugust 3, 2009

Ok so heres the question I have a good sized space in my front garden, where there is currently several tropical hibiscus they will be comming in for the winter mid september and they wont go out again until mid/end of may. I was wondering can I put tulips there that bloom from say april-may then dig them up and store at the end of may? I am kind of under the impression that they will need to stay in the ground until the foliage dies back, is that true or can I cut them back then dig them up?

Thanks

Jenn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I am sure you can plant tulips there. But I don't dig up my tulips though. Too much work. I leave them in the ground and most come up the following spring anyway.

You can choose early, mid and late blooming tulips to extend the blooming season.

See this thread for sources:
Bulbs sources.

Good luck.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 2:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

Choose early tulips. They come in early mid and late season.
When they are finished blooming, Dig them up but leave on the foliage. Put some soil in the bottom of a pot and plant them close together. then cover with soil to the level they were growing in the ground.
Set the pot in a sunny spot and water occasionally; not sopping just wet. When the tops turn brown, pull them off and put the pot and all in a dark,dry, cool place. Then in the fall turn out the pot and plant them.

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™