When to plant daffodil bulbs in Boston area?

gabosAugust 26, 2010

I live in Boston area and I am planning on planting some Daffodil bulbs for spring blooming next year. When is the best time to plant them? I saw some bulbs on sale in a local store here and I bought them. Can I plant them this or next weekend?

Please advice. I am newbie to Daffodils.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

It's too early and you've traditionally got a lot of warm (at least nice) weather to go yet. The soil is too warm now.

Plant daffodil bulbs in fall, 6 - 8 weeks before a hard frost is expected and when soils are below 60 degrees F. but still workable. This is usually during late September and October and sometimes even into early November in the North.

You can get your soil prepared - weeded, cleared of rocks, etc. - anytime though.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 4:26PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

It is way too early to plant as the soil temps need to cool. I suspect your proper planting time would be the close to mine, and you could start in early/mid Oct and continue until the soil freezes. There are even some of us late planters that devise ways to plant after the soil has frozen, planting above ground level, and then covering with soil, and mulches.

In Nov and Dec there are always threads about still being able to get those last bulbs planted somewhere, somehow.

Sue

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 11:51AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I'm no expert on daffodils, but I always understood that daffodil bulbs like to go in the ground sooner than other kinds of bulbs (like tulip bulbs, for instance). At any rate, I have always planted my daffodil bulbs in very late summer/early fall, and they have been thriving for years.

Maybe I just lucked out--don't know.

Kate

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
I mayhave started a war with critters that eat bulbs....
I purchased hardy Cyclamen bulbs and had prepared the...
Emerogork2
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™