Question on calla lillies and crocosmia just dug up

princessgrace79(8 PNW)August 17, 2013

Hi!! Fairly new person to gardening here (or at least, educated gardening, I'm not sure the three years I just put stuff in the ground wherever counts). My dad's girlfriend was moving out of her house and kindly dug out a ton of plants for me, including two big clumps of calla lily. They are two different types, and one the leaves were almost totally brown, but the other one had spotted leaves and were green but started wilting as soon as they were pulled.
What do you all recommend in terms of planting? I'm tempted to just plant them now and cross my fingers but didn't know if I was asking for lily death.

I'm zone 8 and they should overwinter in the right spots (I have two other callas in slightly raised locations and they have here), Our first frost is usually not until November, sometimes late october (that is when dahlias and such start dying off).

I also have some shorter crocosmia, am I correct that these should be saved til spring?

Thank you!

Grace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I would put them all in the ground now. They have plenty of time to acclimate before frost and they keep better in the ground. Al

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™