Crikey -- they're here! Local garden center had its fall display

denninmi(8a)August 24, 2010

ALREADY!

It had almost its full line out -- tulips, daffs, hyacinths, alliums, various other specialty bulbs. About the only thing missing was amaryllis and paperwhites. On one hand, it would be a good time to buy and plant colchicums before they start to bloom in the display bin. OTOH, it was kind of depressing to see bulbs so early. Gosh, the ink on the packaging must be barely dry at this point!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Did they have the Hallowe'en displays out, too? Or the 'buy early for Christmas' offers??

I agree. It's daunting. Hope you get some great buys, though.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 4:32AM
denninmi(8a)

Yup, they also had their Halloween and fall hardgoods out. Lots of decor items, silk flowers, that sort of thing. A veritable sea of rusts, oranges, reds, golds, and yellows.

Well, we all know they have to push it now, so they can get the Xmas stuff out in October.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 10:58AM
tepelus z6a SW MI

Fall is right around the corner...I'm thinking of bulbs now anyway, figuring out what I want to plant. Usually by this time of year I've had it with gardening and don't care to plant bulbs. Then spring comes and I tell myself I should have bought more bulbs. This year, I plan to buy some.

Karen

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 5:52PM
seamommy(7bTX)

This is the first time I ever logged into the bulbs forum and the only reason I did was because I got my Dutch Gardens Catalog today. Thought I'd see what everyone was doing with bulbs and read the FAQ's. I need more bulbs and have not had good luck with buying from local sources. These are going to cost more, but I'd sure like to have a nice Spring display. According to the FAQs most people have had good luck with DG. Think I'm gonna order. Cheryl

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:32AM
tepelus z6a SW MI

I just looked up this company on the site we cannot name here, and I see many negative comments about the company, some have said it used to be great until Burgess bought them out. So, try at your own risk. Maybe place a small order and see what you get.

Karen

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™