How to Plant in Carboard Boxes inside Garden Bed

Aviatrix4March 27, 2014

Hello,

I have a raised garden bed in my yard that is completely overrun with weeds. I also have absolutely no experience planting anything. I would love to plant a vegetable garden this year, but am reading that I should have done the whole weeding/cardboard over the weeds thing back in the Fall.

Now I fear I'm too late to get this soil up to par for veggies come Spring. My question is this: Can I plant veggies in cardboard boxes and just lay them inside the garden bed? Of course I would manually pull any weeds in the bed first. Maybe put a layer of cardboard and then the boxes on top of that? Has anyone done anything similar to this with success? Any tips or help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phyllis__mn

A friend did exactly that. She had the conventional garden, but wanted to try this anyway, with a couple of tomato plants. It worked very well.

You might like to explore straw bale gardening.....my DD had a huge crop of cukes, tomatoes, squash, flowers, peppers, etc. on her two bales last year.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:56AM
phyllis__mn

A friend did exactly that. She had the conventional garden, but wanted to try this anyway, with a couple of tomato plants. It worked very well.

You might like to explore straw bale gardening.....my DD had a huge crop of cukes, tomatoes, squash, flowers, peppers, etc. on her two bales last year.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:57AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

How many sqr-ft of garden area are we talking about?

One way to deal with weeds is HOEING. The next is pulling and yet another one is mulching (Black plastic, eg).

I always amend a bit and turn my garden beds in the spring before planting anything in them. So this takes care of the weeds

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™