Muscari

bkay2000(8a TX)August 18, 2010

In old neighborhoods, we have these small muscari that bloom beautifully. (I had some at my previous house.) They are usually naturalized in the lawn. They bloom pretty early.

I have bought muscari on several occasions and they bloom once and never bloom again. How can I get the old version?

bkay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If you know where these Muscari are that you covet - wait for a fine day. Go to the street where you've seen them. Look for a householder out in the garden and ---- ask.

You'll probably be lucky 'cos gardeners (mostly) love sharing their surplus plants. Just wait until they fetch a digging implement and some sort of container. Offer some of your own surplus treasures and voila! Muscari, a friend, and probably leads to other goodies as well. Good luck!

PS if the front yards are tended 'by magic' (no one is EVER seen cutting the grass or pulling weeds) - you could go to the door and knock politely.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 3:48AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

The old southern "starch hyacinth" is likely what you are seeing. The Latin name is Muscari neglectum. Old House Gardens and Brent and Beckys Bulbs, for two, carry them. OTOH, the ones growing in your neighbors' yards would most likely be far superior since they have naturalized in your climate, if you have the nerve to beg a start. If you do, when you have an excess, I'd love to trade! :)

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 6:19PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

bkay2000 - told ya so! Gardeners like donnabaskets - they're the ones to ask!

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 4:10AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

If you were here I'd give you all you could dig.

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™