Daffodil foliage emerging

agardenstateof_mindAugust 27, 2010

I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears a bit early ... but seeing green shoots of 'Tete-a-Tete' in August has me just a mite concerned. Anyone have any experience with this?

This spring, most plants were about 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule. It has been a very hot and dry summer, with plenty of days in the 90's and some just over 100. It has cooled down recently to the 70's-80's.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears a bit early ... but seeing green shoots of 'Tete-a-Tete' in August has me just a mite concerned. Anyone have any experience with this?
No experience with Tete-aTete being this early, but imagine some of the Division 10 Bulbocodium cultivars may be emerging at any time.

I wouldn't be concerned. They may just be planted kind of shallow, which has caused them to emerge and I think they will be fine. Muscari foliage has started emerging here, and it usually starts somewhat later in the year.

Sue

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 11:21PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I've got Muscari foliage now but never have had any daffodils or narcissus come up this early. I have loads of Tete a Tetes.

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 6:24PM
agardenstateof_mind

I'm accustomed to seeing muscari foliage now, but not daffodil. Don't know that I can do anything about it, of course ... It isn't like I can push them back down again. We'll see what happens. Might have daffodils for my Thanksgiving decorations!

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 9:43PM
joshy46013

It seems a lot of bulbs are confused this year. The weather hasn't been normal, no rain, very hot days.... If there was some kind of rain the daffodils may have decided dormancy was over. A lot of daffodils actually don't require a cold period to bloom so you're absolutely right, thanksgiving might be pretty yellow this year :)

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 10:56AM
Zdenek22

August sounds quite normal for daffodils in Australia...
But jokes aside, if your daffodils really start growing like that, make sure you water them well as they are used to having completely soft soil in their regular growing period.

Bookmark   last Thursday at 5:27AM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™