What's this?

bobbyle(6)August 27, 2012

Could you please ID this plant for me?

A friend gave it to me today, the bulb has been lying on its side in his garage for a while and it has produced this flower spike without soil or anything recently. I've just put it in some wet soil in a plastic bag prior to planting it properly in some better soil tomorrow. The flower is white (for now) and looks a bit like a Kniphofia one, but this has a rather enormous bulb and no leaves at all, at least at this stage...

Below the photo I'm posting a link to a close-up of the flowerhead

Here is a link that might be useful: A close-up of the flowerhead

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

You might want to try posting in the name this plant forum. The fact it's blooming wihtout leaves and the flower is kind of distinctive.... someone more knowledgeable should be able to ID it. good luck and if you get an answer please post here!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:57PM
bobbyle(6)

Thanks, I'll do that.

And I forgot to mention that my friend got it from Turkey.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 1:36AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

If it has been kept in the dark the lack of colour, length of stem and lack of leaves may all be atypical and due to low light.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:37AM
bobbyle(6)

Well, while it has been in a garage it still has had some natural daylight I learned. It doesn't show signs of discoloration as the other 3 bulbs that my friend has potted up look the same, he told me - no leaves, just an upright stem, and white flowers... He got them from an island in Turkey, growing in the hot bright sun, in a dry area...

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 4:20PM
bobbyle(6)

Success!

It's been ID-ed as "Urginea maritima" by "bboy" in "Name That Plant" forum and I think that's just what it is... :)

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 5:58PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

bobbyle - I'm pleased that you have got your id at last. But I am concerned that your friend got these bulbs from Turkey. If, as it sounds, they were dug from the wild I think you need to investigate the circumstances. Bulb collection from the wild in Turkey has caused dreadful decline in the natural flora in the past although there are now schemes to regulate the trade. I hope you'll discuss this issue with your friend and check that s/he is participating in a regulated scheme. Good luck in keeping, and I hope, increasing your bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sustainable bulb collecting

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 8:22AM
bobbyle(6)

Well, I asked him and he said that the turks were aware of this as they have obviously shown them this site so they were not worried at all... And they've told them that it was a good medicine plant of some sort...

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Sponsored Products
In a Pinch Tray
$47.99 | Dot & Bo
Designers Fountain 81838 Mendocino 3 Light Island in Forged Sienna Finish Multic
$334.00 | Hayneedle
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights 1-Light LED Landscape Lighting
$83.72 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Collection Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Kingston Bronze
$74.00 | Home Depot
Outdoor Lighting. LV44SLV Landscape Lighting Well Light Low Voltage Die Cast Bra
$72.97 | Home Depot
Black Fluorescent Dry-Erase Calendar Decal
$17.99 | zulily
Justice Design Group GLA-8911 - Capellini 1 Light Wall Sconce - Tulip with Rippl
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Smokey Taupe Polished Glass Pencil Liners
$9.95 | TileBar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™