Hellebores with bulbs?

daysquid(7a Annapolis, MD)August 9, 2012

I'm new to gardening and have purchased some grape galaxy hellebores. I'd really like suggestions on what bulbs to plant with them. Thanks to all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I'd consider snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis), checker lilies (Fritillaria meleagris) or any of the early narcissus, like 'Tete a tete'. Any crocus would work, too. These all tend to have an early bloom season so will compliment the flowering of the hellebore and are happy in part shade or less than full sun locations. And they appreciate the dryness in summer, as does the hellebore.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 2:40PM
daysquid(7a Annapolis, MD)

I love these suggestions. Thanks. I also found this tulip...

http://www.burpee.com/flowers/flowering-bulbs/fall-planted-bulbs/tulip-bulbs/tulip-insulinde-prod002450.html

Do you think it would work?

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 10:08PM
gardengal48

It's a beautiful tulip so plant it if you like but it will be in bloom much later than the hellbores. Also would prefer to be in full sun.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 1:02PM

Maybe I'll experience with a few -- but thanks for pointing out that it likes full sun. Hmmm.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 7:56PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Not exactly bulbs but I have pink and white hardy Cyclamen under/between my hellebores which cope with the dry conditions and flower in late summer.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 10:35AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Also not exactly bulbs - and in small patches where the Hellebores won't swamp them - Anemone blanda, Anemone nemorosa, Polygonatum (variegated, otherwise it could be a 'battle of the garden thugs') and, if they're hardy for you - various Corydalis.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 4:09AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Yes - I have Corydalis solida in the same bed. Very early and then disappears until next spring.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 4:27AM

Thanks for all these suggestions. Very helpful. Keep them coming. I had thought about adding tassel ferns but I'm confused about them liking dryness. I've seen pictures of helebores with ferns. Thoughts?

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 5:15PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Yes - ferns go well with hellebores but as you guessed you need to check they are species which can cope with the dryness. I have Asplenium scolopendrium, Hart's-tongue Fern which is a native evergreen fern and grows a lot in my area. I also have Dryopteris filix-mas, Male fern, and Lady Fern (Athyrium filix-femina)also both natives.

The picture shows hardy Cyclamen and the fern Polystichum setiferum, also evergreen in my climate, with Hellebore stems on the right. You can see they all grow well in dry shade under a Medlar (trunk visible at left).

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 6:28AM

Flora UK: Thanks for the picture and the post. Your picture looks very natural. I want to plant Hellebores next to the brick stairs leading down to our cottage and am torn between an ultra natural look or something more structured as it is our front -- albeit, an old brick stair with big holly tree above.

And keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
I mayhave started a war with critters that eat bulbs....
I purchased hardy Cyclamen bulbs and had prepared the...
Emerogork2
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
please help - fungus gnats eating bulbs?
I most likely bought infectious putting soil. My bulbs...
pinkkpearls
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™