Naked Ladies

daylily_dreamerAugust 4, 2009

I'm sure you can tell by my name where I usually hang-out, but I'm hoping someone here can help me. I was given some Naked Lady bulbs last year. I planted them and then in the early summer some weak leaves appeared. Then they died off. Aha, I thought, this is where the "nakedness" begins. I have been waiting for more action. I've noticed in the last week that others in our area are all up and blooming. What happened? Also, if someone could give me the scientific name maybe I wouldn't be blocked when I try to yahoo information! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

When were you given the bulbs and when did you plant them? They should have had strong foliage earlier in the year, maybe coming up in April/May and disappearing sometime totally in July. They do take a year or more to settle in before they will bloom. They do not like being disturbed by being dug and moved and will sulk.

There are several cultivars of what are called naked ladies. There is however only one that is hardy enough to survive in your zone and mine, and that is the Lycoris Squamigera. It is pink.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Various Lycoris

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 2:22AM
daylily_dreamer

Thank you so much! My daughter's boyfriend works at a nursery. They were digging and dividing the bulbs. The owner will send extras home with him and he gives them to me (good boyfriend). That was September and I put them in where my Japanese Iris have done well. Full sun after about 2:00. I'm glad you said that they may take a few years. I will try to be patient! Thanks again

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 6:53AM
pellie_grower(z8 UK)

The problem with common names is the bulbs could be Nerines or Colchicums

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™