Carpet Gardening??

kaddieJanuary 23, 2011

Hi, I came across a book called, The Carpet Garden, I've only just began to read it but they claim that by using indoor/outdoor carpet as a mulch in the garden dramatically reduces the weeds, pests and the need to water as often.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this, may have used this method? It sounds too good to be true and well we know how that saying goes!

Wouldn't the carpet it self have chemicals that you wouldn't want around your growing vegetables? I guess that's my biggest concern.

I would really love to hear from anyone that uses or tried this method.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spogarden

I have thrown an old piece of carpet or two out where I needed some weed control. In my raspberry's where I don't till, I put some in the path between the rows. It isn't a real pretty way of doing it but it works well. There wasn't any plastic in it, all natural fibers. Eventually it breaks down. I figured that was better than throwing it in the garbage.

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 11:42AM
curt_grow

I tried it, did not like it. I like my mulch to break down and return to the soil. Maybe a warmer dryer climate than mine would work?

Curt

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 11:47AM
borderbarb

Curt ... interesting comment about 'warmer/dryer climate'. Here in my semi-arid climate, I have used carpet scraps [my sons are in construction]in my pathways for years. I used to have a devil grass/bermuda problem in my pathways. After years of carpet/cardboard paving, problem solved.

Now I use carpet scraps as cover on my in-ground worm pits and the worms LOVE those carpets! Helps to retain moisture in the worm 'bed'.

Ooops ... just re-read the OP ... you were asking about the indoor/outdoor carpet material....seems like very "man made" chemical soup type of stuff .... guess I'd pass on that. The carpet I use is indoor material ... often wool...

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 12:46PM
kaddie

Yes, that's what I was thinking, 'the man made material'. Anyway the indoor carpeting is an interesting idea. If the carpeting would help to control even some of the weeds it would be worth it.

Thanks for your replies!

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 5:24PM
jekyll(New Zealand)

I've used old woollen (i.e. biodegradable natural fibre) carpet in the garden. It's an excellent mulch. It takes some time to break down and not a lot grows through it easily.

I'd use more if I had more old carpet to use.

It's best as part of a layered mulch, with compost etc under the carpet and something like pea straw over it. You don't really want the look and smell of rotting carpet as a garden feature...

Bookmark   January 24, 2011 at 4:19AM
More Discussions
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
good weed fighters
Am looking for ideas to fight off weeds. Currently...
sepulvd
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
pepper problems
Hey everyone! My pepper blossoms are falling off! I...
Ankjlkhu Bkjjghfy
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
Sponsored Products
Campania International Brasilia Planter - Set of 4 - 6813-0704
$689.99 | Hayneedle
Gina Office Chair in Black
$66.00 | LexMod
White Hall Bird Silhouette Ceramic Oval Vertical Petite Lawn Address Plaque - 26
$74.99 | Hayneedle
Tulip Watering Can Flower Pot
$22.99 | zulily
Fire Flower Pinwheel Spinner Stake
$14.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Blue/Beige 6 ft. 7
Home Depot
Darya Rugs Suzani, Green, 8'10" x 11'1" M1783-156
Darya Rugs
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Black/Beige 2 ft. 3 in. x 6 ft.
$49.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™