yellow nerifolia

sradleyeMarch 16, 2014

Hi,
I picked up this tree two weeks ago. It had some yellowing of leaves when I bought it. I picked most of those off, but it looks like the trend is continuing. The tree also does not seem to be taking up water very quickly, but I did move to a slightly colder location for quarantine purposes. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sradleye

close up

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 11:06AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Lack of nutrients, lower light, cooler temps.
When did you last fertilize?

Josh

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 12:30PM
sradleye

Hi Josh, Thanks for reply. I use a maintenance dose of the foliage pro fertilizer right now 1/4 tsp/gal. It would have been watered with that once or twice, showered with straight tap water once and watered a couple times with just plain tap water that has set. When my friend and I left this particular store we spoke at length of how the trees are located right by the door (where the only window seemed to be). I am talking about buffalo new York here in the midst of a brutal winter, could this be cold damage from that?

As for my care. I have stopped the fertilizer, letting top of soil dry out before watering. it is now in my quarantine spot, which is north window with small fluorescent light. This spot is a few degrees cooler than the rooms I keep my plants in regularly. but the problem existed before I took possession of the plant. the yellowing is working from bottom leaves up.

I also sprayed twice with h2o/alcohol/dishsoap concoction. one of the original yellow leaves I removed had a thick dust on the under side that reminded me of spider mites. but I haven't seen any other signs of them and the yellowing seems to me to be different than what I have seen with mites.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 12:48PM
sradleye

took off some leaves today

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™