tulips in Thailand?

muckpukSeptember 21, 2007

I have recently moved from Holland to Thaialnd. I've shipped some nice tulip bulbs from Holland to Phuket, and they will be arriving around december. I hear different story's about planting and growing tulips in Thailand. Some say that I have to stick them in the fridge for a bit. Some say plant them in shade other say in the sun!

What to do? Does anyone know?I would love to have some tulips around.

Thanxs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pbandj_grow

muckpuk,
There is absolutely no reason why you can not have Tulips in Thailand. However, with that said, there are a couple of issues I think you should be aware of:
1) Bulbs arriving in December will not have a long enough chilling period to bloom at the normal time unless you can find "pre-chilled" bulbs.
2) From my understanding of Thailands climate, you will have difficulty getting spring-flowering bulbs to bloom outside using conventional methods. It just does not get cold enough for a long enough period of time.

With all of that said, I would recommend that you use a practice of "forcing" spring-flowering bulbs and treat them as an annual. This will allow you to enjoy bulbs but not in the conventional way. There is some really good articles on this website at the link below and they have a pretty good newsletter you might be interested in to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening Resource

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
please help - fungus gnats eating bulbs?
I most likely bought infectious putting soil. My bulbs...
pinkkpearls
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Worsleya procera
I posted this on the Amaryllis forum, but wanted to...
bluebonsai101
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™