When to plant daffodil bulbs?

superpony123September 3, 2009

I live in NJ. I have about 180 daffodil bulbs I've ordered, and now I need to know when to plant :D Oh boy! (140 dutch masters, and 40 various pink ones)

The packaging is fairly vague. It suggests that for the northern chunk of the US, plant before freezing anytime between sept-nov. *scratch head* well, I think we usually start getting frosts in october. But, it seems like riiight up until frost, it can be roasting too! We've got some daffs that were already here when we bought this house (eons ago..) but we've never really planted any on our own. I just feel like if I planted these in the next week or two, the heat might ruin them? Am I wrong in thinking this? When should I plant these? Lately, our temperatures change weekly. It seems to be anywhere from 70-95!

I'm trying to get these "out of the way" I guess you could say (as in, i'm hoping to plant these ASAP because I've got about 200 tulip bulbs to plant later as well as iris, hyacinth, and others. I know--i'm super excited for NEXT spring, but not terribly excited about digging the hundreds of holes ;D)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

You can start planting them now. Daffodils will need to settle a little and start growing roots before the ground freezes.

Yeah, might as well get them out of the way before your other bulbs arrive. lol. But you have have to mark where you've planted your daff. so you won't dig into them when you start with your other bulbs. :-)

Hvae fun digging. :-D

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 9:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Here in my zone 5/6 I was told by the Daffodil Society, to not start planting before the first of Oct. The soil should be cooled some by then which is best for planting. If the soil is too warm, they might bake or even rot if too wet before they broke dormancy and started to root themselves in.

Sue

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
Sponsored Products
Vondom | Alma Planter
YLiving.com
Jane Seymour English Ruffle Roses 12 in. Multicolor Silk Flower Arrangement - JS
$180.00 | Hayneedle
Deer Park Ironworks Starburst Arbor - AR202
$200.86 | Hayneedle
Citrus White Musk & Patchouli Candle
$14.99 | zulily
Nuvo Boxwood 1-light Textured Black 14-inch Hanging Fixture
Overstock.com
Vining Mixed Greens with Decorative Stand Silk Plant
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™