Not a pregnant onion

jcoireangusSeptember 21, 2011

I'm looking for help identifying a plant that looks a lot like a pregnant onion but isn't one. The bulb is green and rests mostly above the soil. The bulb looks like an onion but is about the size of a softball. Baby bulbs form around the base. The leaves are long and strap like.

So far, it sound like a pregnant onion but here is where it differs. It flowers directly out of the center of the onion. The flowers are large (about three inches) mostly white with a bit of lavender in the center. The flowers or not on a stock and look vaguely lily-like.

These are very old plants, maybe twenty years, but not woody. The stalk that grown out of the bulb is about two feet tall. The leaves fall away from the stal and can be two or three feet long.

I think it is either a relative of a pregnant onion ( we have one of those too) or some kind of amaryllis.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

It could still be an Ornithogalum... might be worth a hunt on pacificbulbs.com.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 5:14AM
jcoireangus

I think I have a species of Crinum rather than a pregnant onion. The person I got them from called them pregnant onions but I don't think they are. The confusion comes from the size of the bulbs and that they're rooted on the surface.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 11:36AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

That certainly sounds like a crinum. However, crinums look totally lily like, well actually amaryllis like. They come in rosy reds, pinks, and whites, sometimes with stripes or blushes. Some of the pinks I have seen can look lavender, especially as they age. In every other way, your description sounds like a crinum. Another clue might be that when a crinum puts up a bloom stalk, it looks exactly like an amaryllis before it opens.

Another possibility might be the old Iris, Twelve Apostles, but its blooms look like Irises, though much much smaller than bearded ones.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 4:39PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Here's a 'line-up' of possibles:

http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryllids/Crinum.html

(I wish I hadn't seen them with my little green eyes. Sigh.)

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™