what can I put on my balcony floor to make it look'natural'?

Lynn NevinsMarch 28, 2012

I have a balcony with a white cement floor and black iron railings. Any ideas what I can do to make the floor look more tied-in with nature...? I'd heard about these interlocking squares of teak or bamboo to make a floor? Or maybe lay some inexpensive bamboo fencing on the floor (though that probably wont provide a very level floor surface ....)

Any ideas appreciated. Tx!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DaMonkey007(10b - Miami)

I'm full of DIY advice today, it would seem.

You could try a pebble/epoxy overlay. Super easy to do, all you'll need is polished round pebble, epoxy, and a trowel.

Or just go with the pebbles (round and polished, of course), for a more organic feel. Think crunch when you walk. You could use paver edging tacked to the concrete to contain the pebbles from falling from the balcony.

PJ

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 12:57PM
Lynn Nevins

Tx. I did think of that but then there's the weight/safety issue since the balcony is not recessed but completely juts out from the side of the building....

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:40PM
susan2010(6 Massachusetts)

What about a bamboo rug? They sell them in all sorts of sizes. It would not have to cover the entire area. You could stain the concrete for contrast.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 9:47AM
DaMonkey007(10b - Miami)

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, if that's something that your interested in. You would only need about 3 cuft of pebble to cover the balcony at a 1" depth, which is about 300lbs. If you went with an epoxy overlay, it would be less than half that.

Cantilevered balcony's are designed to hold a pretty good deal of weight, code requirements ensure it. Think about it, when was the last time you heard about a balcony just falling off the side of the building. If your concerned about it, talk to your property manager, they should be able to tell you the design criteria. I suspect you will be surprised at how much weight they are designed to hold.

PJ

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:56AM
Lynn Nevins

Thanks Susan. A bamboo rug did occur to me....do you know if those things would hold up if kept outdoors 24/7...in rain and snow? Tx!

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 12:38PM

Again, not forever. You might check around for something designed to go outside. Some of the sisal-looking outdoor rugs are quite attractive, and they stand up to a lot of abuse. And you can clean them with a hose.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 2:44PM
Lynn Nevins

Tx. I did look for outdoor bamboo rugs but they pretty much all said they were meant for indoors or else 'not intended to remain in the sun'. Unfortunately I can't have somethng that I keep outdoors sometimes and indoors other times...just no other space inside!

I'll look for sisal.

Tx!

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 3:16PM

Something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor Rug

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 4:05PM
Lynn Nevins

Thanks very much for all your help Susan! Yes, something like that would have been perfect. I even found another site where I could have custom-ordered the size, the trim, everything.... but then I remembered.... ;-(

Part of the reason I made sure I got a new apartment that had a balcony was...I like being able to let my two cats out there (I will have a screen enclosure built around the entire balcony....). And one of my cats is ex-feral, and has always had random peeing issues. He likes to pee on plastic bags and...he used to sometimes pee on my outdoor doormat. So I suspect he'd use any type of outdoor rug in this same way. And while it occurred to me that I could hose this rug down, it's just not that easy to do when you live in a 4th floor apartment in the city, nor would I feel like carrying a full size rug in from the balcony to say clean it in my shower....

So....I think I will unfortunately have to forego the rug.

I'll just have to live with my cement balcony floor, for as long as I'm still living here. (It's only supposed to be a temporary rental only...maybe 2 years....)

Tx!

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™