turface and granite mix for clay pots

naturemitch(3/4 WI)March 31, 2012

I want to try just a turface and granite mix for some of my peppers...which will also be planted in clay pots.

What type of ratio should I use for this scenario? Has anyone tried this before, and.....?

I have looked high and low in all directions for pine bark in the correct size, and I am coming to the conclusion I am on a mission with little success. I did find 2 bags of partially decomposed pine bark, that I think will suffice....but want another option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Mix 1:1, Screened Turface MVP:grower grit or #2 cherrystone.

I'm sure you have bark available near you - you just haven't found it yet. How close to Chicago (Dundee) are you?

Al

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 12:09PM
naturemitch(3/4 WI)

Thanks Al!

We are in far Northern Wi, so too far:( We are in a logging area, and maybe I am looking in all the wrong places. Was wondering about sawmills? Either they are doing something with the bark, or shipping it somewhere I would imagine!

I checked the location thread that was started and was hoping to find a Northern or even Central WI site, but I didn't see anything except for Southern WI...which is 6-7 hours away. Still looking, just starting to look into options:)

Thank you for all you do!!

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 7:19PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Keep checking any nursery operations that sell mulch, peat ....... that's where you're going to find it. Check big box stores, too. I sometimes find excellent bark products there, too. Don't give up! ;-)

Let me know if you ever get down Chicago way & I'll hook you up.

Al

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 10:48PM
Joe1980(5)

Although tricky, I can find the needed bark around here in southeastern WI if I try hard. However, I choose not to use it at all, so if you can't find bark, rest assured that you can grow without it.

Joe

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™