wintering agapanthus

pdshop(5)September 27, 2009

I live in the Northeast. Should the long leaves from the Agapanthus be cut off before I take it in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Well, I only have one Agapanthus (A. inapertus ssp pendulous) but I grow it in a pot for the summer and then around now I bring it inside with the leaves and let it slowly go totally dormant.....I never water and then in the spring I take it back out and it shoots up again and flowers......not sure it will work for all species/hybrids, but it works well for mine. Best of luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 8:18PM
pdshop(5)

Thanks for the input. I am deterined to get these to flower. Do you keep them in the dark as well?

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 8:58AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Well, I only have a sliding glass door so there is little light except my growing lights for my other plants....but the Agapanthus are not under these so I would say they are in the dark. Mine took 2 years to flower the first time after I received the roots as an import from South Africa (decided to get them with some more unusual stuff I was ordering), but now for the past 2 years they have multiplied well and put on quite a show....easily 15 or more flower scapes this summer so it was a lovely display. I'm sure you will not have any trouble, but I suppose it depends on exactly what species it is and what its particular requirements are. Best of luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™