wintering agapanthus

pdshop(5)September 27, 2009

I live in the Northeast. Should the long leaves from the Agapanthus be cut off before I take it in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Well, I only have one Agapanthus (A. inapertus ssp pendulous) but I grow it in a pot for the summer and then around now I bring it inside with the leaves and let it slowly go totally dormant.....I never water and then in the spring I take it back out and it shoots up again and flowers......not sure it will work for all species/hybrids, but it works well for mine. Best of luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 8:18PM
pdshop(5)

Thanks for the input. I am deterined to get these to flower. Do you keep them in the dark as well?

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 8:58AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Well, I only have a sliding glass door so there is little light except my growing lights for my other plants....but the Agapanthus are not under these so I would say they are in the dark. Mine took 2 years to flower the first time after I received the roots as an import from South Africa (decided to get them with some more unusual stuff I was ordering), but now for the past 2 years they have multiplied well and put on quite a show....easily 15 or more flower scapes this summer so it was a lovely display. I'm sure you will not have any trouble, but I suppose it depends on exactly what species it is and what its particular requirements are. Best of luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™