will winter potted crinums ever bloom in zone 5

cheerpeopleSeptember 15, 2011

Just wondering if any of you have had them bloom at all in a colder zone, how cold your zone, and if they then rebloomed year after year, or only the first year they arrived.

I've been waiting years for the small bulbs to grow, which they have. Not the necessary 2 1/2 inches across yet tho.

If they can never bloom here, I'm probably not going to continue to bring them in. I am getting tired of all the lugging of these tropicals.

thx for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

I have had many, many Crinum bloom in pots here in zone 6 outside of Pittsburgh without problem. This goes for the few hybrids I got in trade many years ago and also many of my rarer species from South Africa, Madagascar and India. The easiest species to grow and bloom every single year is C. amoenum from India for me, but others bloom almost as reliably. Best of luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 8:49AM
smivies

I've had C. bulbispermum & variabile flower for me in pots every year. 5 gallon pots & lots of water & fertilizer. Winter them indoors (in their pots) in a dry cool spot.
I've also the same two species outside and overwinter them with 6" of straw and as much snow as I can shovel from the driveway....they've both bloomed as well.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 8:07PM
denninmi(8a)

I have permanently in-ground crinums here in metro Detroit, they've been there close to 15 years now, large clumps that bloom well each year. I just dump about a foot of leaves on them in the fall after cutting the frosted foliage to the ground.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™