Some rookie questions

joannembSeptember 19, 2009

I am planting bulbs for the first time in containers. My husband is making me some large planters for the porch and I plan on overwintering them in the garage during the winter. My tulips should be arriving any day, but dh is dragging his feet and hasn't made the planters. How long can I store the bulbs before planting, and how should I store them? There are 100, so that may be too many for the fridge....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

They say to store bulbs in a cool, dry place that doesn't freeze. The garage will be fine for now, but if it's an attached garage, once freezing temps come you will need to insulate them so they won't freeze. I have had luck with those styrofoam coolers (or any other cooler).

That said, I have stored bulbs in my home at room temperature, planted them in January, and most of them turned out fine. Some of the smaller, special bulbs dried out (frits come to mind) but the daffs and tulips came up great.

If your garage is not attached to the house, the planters will also need to be put in a cooler or under a pile of blankets as well, to protect them from hard freezes.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™